In all my years of online shopping, I have learned a thing or two about saving money and I want to share my knowledge with you:
- Ebates, Ebates, Ebates – This app is a no brainer. Ebates is an affiliate to over 2,000 stores. When someone clicks on an Ebates link to a retail store, Ebates get a commission. Ebates gives you half of their commission (via cash back). Example: You go to Ebates.com and click through to Best Buy. When you make a purchase, you get cash back on that purchase. All purchases are added up and you receive a check every 4 months. Like I said, shop and get money back? No brainer. (I like this app so much that sometimes I don’t buy in the actual store)
- ALWAYS try to find a coupon code for the online retailer – Go to Google and find the code. Many retailers have online coupon codes that we don’t always know about. At checkout, the coupon is applied to your purchase. This is a great way to save $$$! NOTE: most websites take multiple coupon codes. It’s possible there might be a 30% off code as well as a free shipping code. Use them all and save.
- Sales – don’t buy too early in the season. Many times, I am sucked in to purchase a new product before the season to wear the item even begins. Two months later, I see the item on sale and I realize it is still hanging in my closet with the tags on. I should have waited. So, no rush to buy!
- Sign up to receive emails – I know it’s annoying to receive emails from online shopping sites. I receive thousands… but it is worth it. When you do sign up to a website that you have not shopped on previously, they will usually email you a coupon code for first time customers. (You can always unsubscribe after)
- Comparison shopping – If you find an item you like, there is no reason not to search for the best price. Google the item name and see which website might have the best price! You might be surprised… you could possibly find the item on sale!
- Leave items in your shopping cart – Yes, that is what I said. Why?? I noticed that sometimes while shopping, I might have added items to my shopping cart but got distracted and walked away from my computer. I had added an item to my basket and then I forgot about it. Retailers want to close deals too, so they will often take steps to ensure you follow through with your purchase. Often, they will send you coupons and other deals that offer you a better price. Remember you must be registered with the website and logged into your account if you do leave items in your cart.
- It’s your BIRTHDAY!! Yes- if retailers ask your birthday – tell them. They usually just ask day/month (not year). During my birthday month my inbox is inundated with coupons and discounts for my birthday. So, wait to shop during your birthday month.
Hope these tips above help to save some $$$!
Amy lives in Livingston, New Jersey with husband, her two teenage children and her dog, Jeter. She spends much of her time doing fundraising work for her local temple. As her children are growing and going off to college, Amy is looking towards her Second Act, where she is hoping to put her incredible organizational skills and her love for helping others to good use. In her spare time, you can always find her on the tennis court.