Quiche Lorraine, the clear-cut king (or should we say “queen”?) of quiches, is the simple and classic combination of bacon and Swiss cheese in a savory custard filling. This version ditches the crust to allow for a much larger portion of the cheese and bacon–filled filling … and when there’s cheese and bacon, isn’t that all that really counts?
Prep Time: 10 minutes • Bake Time: 40 minutes
Makes 6 Breakfast Portions (200 calories each)
Nonstick cooking spray
5 thick-cut slices bacon
4 large eggs
4 large egg whites
1 cup 2% milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped chives
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate with nonstick cooking spray
2. Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until crispy. Transfer to paper towels to cool. Crumble the cooled bacon and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Pour into the prepared pie plate.
4. Sprinkle the crumbled bacon, shredded Swiss cheese, and chopped chives over the egg mixture in the pie plate. Press down to gently submerge the ingredients into the eggs.
5. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the top of the quiche begins to brown and the center is springy to the touch. Let cool for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
Helpful Tip: The better the cheese, the better your quiche will turn out. Look for imported Gruyère (a type of Swiss cheese that melts nicely) for the traditional cheese used to prepare Quiche Lorraine.
Nutritionist, cookbook author, publisher and health and wellness entrepreneur Mona Dolgov lives her lifelong mission of creating healthier food products, recipes and inventing simple culinary tricks to easily create practical and healthier lifestyles. She is President of You Live Right, LLC, where she has authored and published over 20 cookbooks for top-selling kitchen appliances, health and wellness products and grocery retailers, focused on simplicity and using nutritious ingredients. She also is a private nutritional coach, offers educational and fun dinner classes at Mona’s Kitchen, and is a speaker on nutritional well-being. Plus, she is very excited about launching Cook U. Follow Mona on Facebook or Instagram @monadolgov
She recently co-authored The Perfect Portion Cookbook, a 5-star rated cookbook (with Hollywood star Anson Willams) that makes American classics healthier and guides consumers to healthier portion control. This book (and Mona) was featured on the Today Show, The Doctors, and The Huffington Post. Learn more at www.theperfectportion.com
She is completing her second cookbook, Satisfy, that will be launched in 2020, focused on simple nutritionally balanced meals all 500 calories or less with real ingredients and real portions. All of the recipes are gluten-free.