Prep Time: 10 minutes • Bake Time: 15 minutes
These baked egg cups are a lot like a ham, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwich, only without the bread. Baked in muffin cups, they make an easy grab-and-go breakfast that you can prepare in advance and warm in the microwave before serving—though they are best when they are fresh from the oven and the yolks are still a bit runny.
2 Portions • 200 Calories = 2 Egg Cups/Porton
Makes 4 egg cups
Nonstick cooking spray
1/8 pound (2 ounces) thinly sliced lean deli ham
2 tablespoons sliced green onions
4 large eggs
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F and spray four muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place a thin slice of ham into each prepared muffin cup and press the ham against the sides of the cups to follow the natural shape of the pan.
3. Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon of green onions into each lined cup and then crack a fresh egg over the top of the ham and onions in each.
4. Lightly season each egg with salt and pepper and then bake for 10 minutes.
5. Top each egg with a light sprinkling of Cheddar cheese and return to the oven to bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until whites are firm and cheese has melted. Serve garnished with additional sliced green onions, if desired.
Helpful Tip: Thinly sliced ham is essential, as thicker ham will not form to the shape of the muffin cups. For larger ovals of sliced deli ham, you may need to cut each slice into four pieces and overlap the pieces to fit into the muffin cups.
Nutritionist, cookbook author, publisher and health and wellness entrepreneur Mona Dolgov lives her lifelong mission of creating healthier food products, recipes and inventing simple culinary tricks to easily create practical and healthier lifestyles. She is President of You Live Right, LLC, where she has authored and published over 20 cookbooks for top-selling kitchen appliances, health and wellness products and grocery retailers, focused on simplicity and using nutritious ingredients. She also is a private nutritional coach, offers educational and fun dinner classes at Mona’s Kitchen, and is a speaker on nutritional well-being. Plus, she is very excited about launching Cook U. Follow Mona on Facebook or Instagram @monadolgov
She recently co-authored The Perfect Portion Cookbook, a 5-star rated cookbook (with Hollywood star Anson Willams) that makes American classics healthier and guides consumers to healthier portion control. This book (and Mona) was featured on the Today Show, The Doctors, and The Huffington Post. Learn more at www.theperfectportion.com
She is completing her second cookbook, Satisfy, that will be launched in 2020, focused on simple nutritionally balanced meals all 500 calories or less with real ingredients and real portions. All of the recipes are gluten-free.