Prep Time: 10 minutes • Bake Time: 15 minutes
These baked egg cups are a lot like a ham, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwich, only without the bread. Baked in muffin cups, they make an easy grab-and-go breakfast that you can prepare in advance and warm in the microwave before serving—though they are best when they are fresh from the oven and the yolks are still a bit runny.
2 Portions • 200 Calories = 2 Egg Cups/Porton
Makes 4 egg cups
Nonstick cooking spray
1/8 pound (2 ounces) thinly sliced lean deli ham
2 tablespoons sliced green onions
4 large eggs
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F and spray four muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place a thin slice of ham into each prepared muffin cup and press the ham against the sides of the cups to follow the natural shape of the pan.
3. Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon of green onions into each lined cup and then crack a fresh egg over the top of the ham and onions in each.
4. Lightly season each egg with salt and pepper and then bake for 10 minutes.
5. Top each egg with a light sprinkling of Cheddar cheese and return to the oven to bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until whites are firm and cheese has melted. Serve garnished with additional sliced green onions, if desired.
Helpful Tip: Thinly sliced ham is essential, as thicker ham will not form to the shape of the muffin cups. For larger ovals of sliced deli ham, you may need to cut each slice into four pieces and overlap the pieces to fit into the muffin cups.
Nutritionist, cookbook author, and product development expert Mona Dolgov lives her lifelong mission of creating healthier food products, recipes and inventing simple culinary tricks to easily create practical and healthier lifestyles. She has authored and published over 20 cookbooks for kitchen appliances, health and wellness products and grocery retailers, focused on simplicity and using nutritious ingredients.
She recently co-authored The Perfect Portion Cookbook a 5-star rated cookbook (with Hollywood star Anson Willams) that makes American classics healthier and guides consumers to healthier portion control. This book (and Mona) was featured on the Today Show, The Doctors, Huffington Post, and on several talk shows throughout the United States.
Mona is President of You Live Right LLC, helping corporate partners and individuals create relevant and fun nutrition, food and recipe content to create healthier lifestyles.