One of my favorite snacks is also one of the simplest. Avocado Toast has risen in popularity over the years as the health benefits of the good (monounsaturated) fat in avocados came to the forefront. Starting with lightly mashed avocado spread over toast, everyone has their own preference of additional toppings. Personally, I like to keep it simple with fresh sliced tomato and whole basil leaves.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Makes 5 Slices Avocado Toast
1 medium Haas avocado, pitted
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper
1 slice light wheat bread
2 slices fresh tomato
2 basil leaves
- Scoop avocado out of the peel and place in a small mixing bowl. Use a heavy fork to mash the avocado until it is spreadable, but still chunky.
- Add the lemon juice to the avocado and season lightly with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toast the wheat bread to your liking.
- Spread 1/5 of the mashed avocado onto the toasted wheat bread. Cover and refrigerate any unused avocado for up to 3 days.
- Top the avocado toast with 2 slices of fresh tomato and lightly season the tomato with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Place fresh basil leaves over the tomato before serving.
Helpful Tip: This recipe makes enough mashed avocado to prepare five slices of avocado toast. If you are preparing all five slices at once, you will need about two small tomatoes to make the 10 slices of tomato needed.
100 Calories = 1 Slice
Nutritionist, cookbook author, publisher and health and wellness entrepreneur Mona Dolgov lives her lifelong mission of creating healthier food products, recipes and inventing simple culinary tricks to easily create practical and healthier lifestyles. She is President of You Live Right, LLC, where she has authored and published over 20 cookbooks for top-selling kitchen appliances, health and wellness products and grocery retailers, focused on simplicity and using nutritious ingredients. She also is a private nutritional coach, offers educational and fun dinner classes at Mona’s Kitchen, and is a speaker on nutritional well-being. Plus, she is very excited about launching Cook U. Follow Mona on Facebook or Instagram @monadolgov
She recently co-authored The Perfect Portion Cookbook, a 5-star rated cookbook (with Hollywood star Anson Willams) that makes American classics healthier and guides consumers to healthier portion control. This book (and Mona) was featured on the Today Show, The Doctors, and The Huffington Post. Learn more at www.theperfectportion.com
She is completing her second cookbook, Satisfy, that will be launched in 2020, focused on simple nutritionally balanced meals all 500 calories or less with real ingredients and real portions. All of the recipes are gluten-free.